Thursday, April 8, 2010

Quick FOIA Update

Just dropping a note to update the status of my FOIA. In the previous post I noted that NASA JPL wanted me to state up front how much I was willing to pay for the information.

Having no idea what these fees are for, I figured the next step is to ask why they charge these fees. That way I can give some sort of reasonable answer on what I'd pay. Here's my resonse:

Dear Mr. Mahon,

As I mentioned in my previous e-mail, this is my first FOIA request, So, if I may, I'd like to ask the purpose of the fees. Are they to cover mailing costs? Will I be actually paying the salary of the person looking up the information? Are they arbitrary fees designed to prevent "fishing expeditions? The reason I ask is so that I can provide you with an answer that is sensible for the purpose of the fees. If possible, providing an "average fee" for obtaining one document would be useful.

Previous Posts In This Series
The Government Way
FOIA Request Filed With NASA

No comments:

Post a Comment